Community Solutions, a nonprofit working to achieve a lasting end homelessness that leaves no one behind, is looking for a design intern for summer 2020. As part of the strategic communications team, the intern will participate in national campaigns helping 80+ communities working to end homelessness around the country, as well as neighborhood-based initiatives in Brownsville, Brooklyn and Hartford, CT.
The intern will work part-time, 8-16 hours per week, starting in early June through mid-August. If the intern’s school does not provide a stipend for internships, then CS will compensate her/him at $12/hr or minimum wage in the state/city, whichever is higher. The intern will have access to multiple training and educational opportunities throughout the summer
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with graphic design needs for a variety of projects, including two major campaigns advancing a lasting end to homelessness, and promoting the implementation of racial equity framework in the sector
- Will be involved in the creation and production of digital and print assets for website, email campaigns, social media, video, fundraising materials and other supporting collateral for teams serving communities across the country and abroad
- Update existing materials and assist in the creation of new ones as part of the Strategic Communications team
- Participate in designing strategies to help solve complex problems
- Experience with graphic design for a variety of media (print and digital) and audiences
- Proficient in Adobe CC Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and Google G Suite (Docs, Slides, Sheets)
- Knowledge of Wordpress and Campaign Monitor a plus
- Experience with illustration, video, and animation welcome!
- Self-starter, independent and driven – yet a supportive team player
- Attention to detail, ability to create materials focused on the user experience
- Ability to execute following established brand guidelines and creative direction, as well as exploring own concepts and self-direct when needed
- Non-traditional candidates welcome. Convince us you have what it takes!
Trainings and educational opportunities offered during internship
- Learn about User-centered design, communicating to different audiences, problem-solving, and supporting teams propelling change at the system level
- Participation in team meetings and all-staff meetings
- Regular check-ins with supervisor for feedback and guidance
- Organization-wide orientation for summer interns
- Lunch meetings with CS employees, paid for by Community Solutions, to learn about the employees’ roles within the organization, the projects/programs they oversee, and how their work contributes to CS’ mission
- Bi-weekly Executive Team virtual lunches to connect with senior leadership