Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. Our Built for Zero team is working with roughly 80 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end chronic and veteran homelessness. Nine of these communities have already ended veteran and/or chronic homelessness, and two have ended both.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
We seek an experienced Community Engagement Manager to help us drive engagement with new and existing communities by leveraging a honed marketing and audience development skill set for maximum social impact, rather than financial gain.
Our team aims to help 40 communities end chronic and/or veteran homelessness by the end of 2019, and to help two international communities achieve the same outcome. To succeed, we must secure the opportunity to support, influence and learn with as many communities as possible over this time period. This requires us to treat community teams like customers in a marketing funnel, even though our work is not designed to make money.
We seek an experienced marketing, customer experience and audience engagement professional to help us develop a deeper understanding of the needs of our community teams. You will help our team translate those insights into user-centered resources, experiences, products and services.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Crystallize our understanding of the key characteristics, pain points and needs of the communities we serve or could serve
- Curate target audience content and experiences to draw new communities deeper into engagement funnel with our team over time in the service of helping them measurably end homelessness
- Help our team ensure the services available through that funnel are aligned with what those communities need to continue progressing toward zero
What Success Looks Like:
- Development and maintenance of a broad, engaged, multi-ring audience to set us up for long-term scale, paying special attention to understanding and engaging leaders at the outer rings of the customer engagement funnel
- Convert a set number of new communities to formal engagement with our team each trimester, either in our direct community support portfolio or through the Built for Zero Collaborative, our national peer and group learning vehicle
- Ensure a steady stream of actionable customer insights that can be leveraged by the entire team for the ongoing creation, improvement and scale of new content and services
The ideal candidate will have strong skills and experience in the areas of account or relationship management, copy-editing, customer profiling and journey mapping, digital marketing analytics, and audience engagement tactics across different platforms. The Community Engagement Manager must be passionate about helping our team understand and translate community needs into actionable product iteration and community engagement strategies, as they will be accountable for initiating successful client relationships that help us drive reductions in homelessness in communities across the country.
Immersion in our methodologies and the ability to communicate our approach will be critical for success, along with the ability to articulate and debate insights and opportunities with staff at various levels of the organization.
Data driven and analytics-obsessed, you have a history of letting data guide your decisions and strategic priorities, and using it to show value creation.
The Community Engagement Manager reports to the Portfolio Lead for Network Communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and continuously improve data-driven customer profiles to help us drive and continuously improve our responsiveness to the needs of the communities we aim to serve
- Develop, curate, evaluate and improve a responsive engagement funnel that helps new community customers engage more deeply with our team and our work over time.
- Drive the growth of a digital audience by generating creative solutions for all social and community platforms. Responsible for management of digital channels and /or web properties.
- Ensure analytics drive insight that then drive changes in behavior and enables better decision-making.
- Set and reach new community conversion goals each trimester
- Develop and manage an engagement and client relationship management infrastructure
- Collaborate continuously with leaders in other portfolios, especially data and internal operations, to determine whether what we’re doing is working for our customer and to produce actionable insights to help the rest of our team iterate our offerings accordingly
- Build and nurture long term relationships via high attention to detail, customer care and establishing good working relationships with decision makers of clients and with internal colleagues. Respond promptly to client & prospect inquiries
- Espouse the virtues of the Built For Zero product and service offerings by demonstrating an understanding of the homelessness industry, the client’s specific needs, and how Built For Zero can best service those needs
- Full engagement with the team in our overall strategic planning process, which proceeds in 6-month cycles
- Clear and prompt communication across team and organization
- Ongoing and regular coordination across team, in conjunction with Team Directors/Principals, Project Manager, other Portfolio/Backbone Leads
Qualifications and Prerequisites:
- Excellent listening and consultative selling skills to identify and convert opportunities for formal engagement
- Excellent writing and copy-editing skills. We need someone who can fine tune our customer communications to help deliver targeted messaging for different audience segments across different platforms.
- Demonstrate real expertise in CRM, customer data, list management, campaign metrics and performance analytics.
- Clearly understand the importance of measuring ROI, funnel management and measurement, and of capturing and continually applying learning.
- Expert knowledge of each phase of the conversion process, from pipeline generation to closing the deal.
- Previous work experience in digital marketing, customer engagement, managing social media platforms, web analytics and high-level customer service.
- Candidates should have demonstrated abilities to meet objective goals, provide excellent customer service, build long-term relationships, and work in a fast paced team-oriented environment.
- Experience in the field of homelessness is a bonus, but not required
- Three to five years previous work experience in a relevant professional environment
- Experience managing multiple competing projects
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite, Google Apps products, CRMs and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, and social media analytics.
- Excellent “soft skills,” including verbal and written communication skills
- High tolerance for ambiguity and moving projects forward in a shifting, often uncertain environment
- Able to see, and pivot between, multiple paths to the same goal
- Strong problem solving, organizational, multitasking, and project management skills
- Preference for clear and direct communication
- Skilled in quality improvement and data analytics
- Bachelor’s degree
- Microsoft Office
- Google Business Apps
- Social media software and applications
A competitive salary starting at $65,000 will be offered, based upon experience.
Around 5 to 7 days of travel will be required every 3 months to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
This position can be located anywhere in the continental United States with a preference for candidates in New York City, Los Angeles, Denver and Atlanta. The Built for Zero team has office space in both New York City and Los Angeles, but the position provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if such an arrangement meets the needs of Community Solutions.