Community Solutions is a nonprofit innovation partner to communities around the world. We leverage engaging, innovative problem-solving tools like design thinking and quality improvement to help communities end homelessness and the conditions that create it. The Built for Zero (BFZ) team works with over 100 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end homelessness.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated, and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Data Portfolio Lead and will be responsible for co-designing, maintaining, and continually improving Built for Zero’s data systems and analyses (including our database, client relationship management software [CRM], Tableau Server deployment, and training materials/processes). Semi-regular travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero has a cohesive, integrated, high-functioning data ecosystem: our team and communities can easily access the data they need and are confident in data quality.
- Processes are designed to empower users to access the information they need. Automation is the name of the game and our systems run smoothly without needing staff to make recurring manual updates.
- Our tools are accessible and designed with the user in mind.
- Our systems are ready to go to scale. Our work is constantly growing, so it’s crucial that we build with an eye towards supporting more communities and initiatives with collecting, storing, and visualizing the data they need to inform their work.
- The Built for Zero team is well supported with measurement and analysis needs.
- The Data Solutions team is cohesive, high-functioning, and well-supported.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a team responsible for the design and administration of data systems, that empower Community Solutions, communities, and partners to analyze data and track and improve performance including:
- Development and implementation of new data collection and validation processes for clients and projects
- Automation of ETL processes for preparing data for analysis
- Improvements to data extraction/collection tools and systems that reduce the work communities have to do to access their data
- Development of a more robust Community Solutions database/data warehouse solution
- Continued design, implementation, and administration of client relationship management tool (CRM)
- Management of our Tableau Server deployment
- Strengthening of integrations so that information automatically flows between these tools.
- Manage a team responsible for the design and administration of measurement frameworks and data analyses that empower Community Solutions, communities, and partners to:
- Track progress against key milestones
- Differentiate between common cause and special cause variation
- Understand correlations between different variables
- Synthesize qualitative and quantitative data sources into actionable insights
- Understand outputs and outcomes through an equity lens.
- Serve as backup to the Portfolio Lead on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- Contribute to team discussions around how to collect, prepare, and analyze data.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Data and Performance Management Team.
- Spreadsheet witch/wizard with experience designing and/or managing databases, client relationship management tools (CRMs), and extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) processes. Experience with Tableau or other business intelligence tools and Amazon Web Services is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, Tableau, and Google Suite products. Experience with databases, data visualization, and data analysis is a plus.
- Five to seven years of previous work experience in a professional environment.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- Non-traditional candidates are welcome. Community Solutions strives for representation and authentic inclusion of applicants and employees who have direct, first-hand experience with poverty, homelessness, and their root causes (including marginalization, discrimination, and inequity).
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
The Data Solutions Manager leads the Data Solutions sub-portfolio on the Data Team, and as such supervises a team of senior analysts.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Project management
- Data prep and visualization
- Google Apps Script and Python
- Tableau Desktop / Prep
- Data storage and management
- Google Sheets
- Amazon Web Services
- Tableau Server
- Web development
- HTML / CSS
- Node.js / npm
- GitHub / Git Bash
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. Currently the range is $85,500 - $111,200.
This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identify, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all Community Solutions staff—full-time, part-time, and contracted. Vaccination documentation must be provided to Community Solutions. Vaccination information is completely confidential between the staff member and HR.