About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. We see these challenges as systems design problems, not just resource issues. Our team leverages problem-solving tools, like quality improvement and design thinking, to help communities improve the design, coordination, and delivery of lasting, root cause solutions.
Since 2011, we’ve helped US communities find homes for more than 200,000 homeless Americans at a taxpayer savings of more than $1.6b. Twelve of those communities have ended either chronic or veteran homelessness outright. We are led by Macarthur Fellow and internationally recognized innovator Rosanne Haggerty. Our work has been featured on 60 Minutes and recognized by the White House, the United Nations, and the Smithsonian.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission-oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Data Coaching and Capacity Building Manager and will be responsible for providing data coaching activities and performance management support to Built for Zero communities and to all members of the Built for Zero team. Travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero communities and internal BFZ staff are supported and trained on data and performance management concepts and tools.
- Built for Zero communities have a deep understanding of BFZ reporting fields, and are able to upload their data in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Built for Zero communities have quality, real-time data and are supported in the use of Quality Improvement methodologies to set goals and measure progress.
- Built for Zero communities understand how to identify and clear any data or technology barriers keeping them from achieving a quality By Name List and tracking an end to homelessness.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess the technology gaps and data training needs of Built for Zero communities; develop appropriate strategies, implement support plans, monitor outcomes and improvements.
- Develop strategies to support new Built for Zero communities’ ability to report and track an end to homelessness on (at least) a monthly basis.
- Identify and address the needs of communities who struggle to report timely, quality data.
- Provide one-on-one data coaching support to a cohort of communities to help them achieve quality data standards and other data-related goals.
- Prepare and conduct new community data orientation calls and/or bi-annual webinars.
- Assist and coach new communities in the development of their By-Name Lists and track improvements through By-Name list scorecard tools.
- Support and track community progress toward individual and aggregate data coaching goals.
- Develop tools, processes and strategies to address common community barriers as they emerge.
- Provide data coaching interventions at on-sites and other in-person convenings such as Learning Sessions.
- Formally and informally train Built for Zero team members and participating communities on Data and Performance Management tools and concepts, such as the Performance Management Trackers and data reliability.
- Assist the Knowledge Manager in capturing best practices from high performing Built for Zero communities.
- Support improvements to the Built for Zero internal performance management infrastructure.
- Serve as backup to Data Coaching and Capacity Building Manager on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- As a representative of Community Solutions, present on Built for Zero learnings, methods and/or outcomes at conferences, workshops, convenings, etc.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Built for Zero Team.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two to three years of previous work experience in a professional environment.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and Google Suite products.
- Ideal candidate would have experience in utilizing and training end users on HMIS or comparable government databases.
- Ideal candidate has familiarity with homeless services sector or related public health field(s).
- Ideal candidate has experience with data improvement coaching and possesses a professional coaching demeanor.
- Experience with data visualization, data analysis, and quantitative measurement is a plus.
- Ideal candidate has experience with public speaking, facilitation, and providing consulting support to community stakeholders.
- Comfort with systems and macro-level thinking.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Google Suite
- Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel
- Tableau/Tableau Server
- This position can be located anywhere in the US and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.
A competitive salary between $65,000 - $70,000 will be offered, depending on experience.
Travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.