Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. Our Built for Zero team is working with about 125 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end chronic and veteran homelessness. Fourteen communities have already achieved success.
We need an experienced, self-starting Network and Engagement Advisor to join a newly formed team designed to build and leverage a vibrant movement of communities working to end homelessness for impact both locally and nationally. The ideal candidate for this role has experience in the homelessness sector. Applicants who have worked on a Built for Zero team, or are otherwise familiar with the work of Built for Zero are strongly encouraged to apply. In addition, they will have a user-centered and customer service mindset in their approach to the work. These qualities and experiences will serve a diverse set of responsibilities that include shaping and supporting the onramp for new communities joining the network as well as building and improving systems that keep communities engaged once they join. In addition, the person in this role will lead in the development and implementation of new tools and frameworks that help Built for Zero participants engage a high-functioning team within their communities. This position reports to the Ux and Network Strategy Lead and will coordinate closely with team members across the Built for Zero team.
About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a non-profit organization working toward a lasting end to homelessness that leaves no one behind. We envision a more equitable future where homelessness is never inevitable or a way of life, for anyone. Since 2015, we have led Built for Zero, a movement of more than 80 cities and counties using data to radically change how they work and the impact they can achieve — and proving that it is possible to make homelessness rare and brief. Nearly half of those communities have reduced homelessness in their communities, and 14 of those communities have ended veteran or chronic homelessness. To help communities equitably and sustainably end homelessness, we are also identifying solutions to address gaps in housing, disrupt inflow into homelessness, and produce more racially equitable housing systems.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission-oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Build and sustain a commitment to ending homelessness, improvement work, and engagement with Built for Zero as measured by the adoption of key associated behaviors among Built for Zero community teams.
- A clear and organized process for engaging prospective communities, assessing their readiness, and managing various organizational recruitment priorities.
- Communities who first join Built for Zero are ready to fully engage and have a smooth and enjoyable onboarding experience.
- Communities undergoing difficult internal transitions have a clear tether to Built for Zero, and a clear path to re-engaging in coaching when they are ready.
- All communities participating in Built for Zero have identified a high-functioning and equitable team of local leaders, whose effectiveness is regularly assessed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage New Community Recruitment and On-Boarding
- Manage the pipeline of community teams interested in joining Built for Zero, accounting for organizational priorities and community readiness.
- Manage and improve the onboarding process for new communities, facilitating calls, and ensuring a smooth transition into the work in Built for Zero.
- Clearly and compellingly present on Built for Zero learning, methods, outcomes, and/or offerings
- Support, leverage, and strengthen existing leadership structures and engage new partners where necessary, including engagement and support of BIPOC partners and those with lived experience of homelessness
- Successfully manage relevant funder or partner relationships in support of community goals
- Create a process to reboot community engagement and provide direct coaching to communities through the re-engagement process.
- Assess the design and current performance of local systems and identify key leverage points, with special attention to racially inequitable outcomes, with a particular focus on communities with low engagement in Built for Zero.
- Set measurable, equitable, and inclusive improvement aims, with the objective of bringing these teams back into full participation in Built for Zero.
- Design workable, well-organized internal measurement plans to assess community engagement, and intervene where necessary.
- Develop processes to “offboard” communities whose engagement continues to flag.
- Create new frameworks aimed at building high functioning teams
- Create new models and frameworks for team formation among Built for Zero communities.
- Create a process to regularly assess the effectiveness of teams participating in Built for Zero, with tools to help make necessary adjustments.
- Support Learning Sessions:
- Manage community experience during the Learning Session, particularly with regard to the orientation and onboarding of new communities.
- Facilitate a process that helps participating teams identify their local team who will attend the Learning Session, maximizing this team for the highest impact.
- Support excellent strategy, execution, and culture across the Built for Zero team:
- Participate in regular strategic planning and implementation meetings for the Built for Zero initiative
- Ensure project scopes, timelines and work plans are always up to date for relevant projects and assignments
- Participate in a team-wide system for learning, iteration, knowledge capture, and spread
- Proactively apply an equity lens in all circumstances, seeking to keep both equity and results at the center of team culture and work
- Operate within, not around, Built for Zero team structures and workflows, and work collaboratively and constructively to improve these over time
- Strong facilitation and public speaking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High tolerance for ambiguity and moving projects forward in a shifting, often uncertain environment
- Able to see, and pivot between, multiple paths to the same goal
- Comfortable managing individuals without supervisory authority
- Skillful and respectful conflict resolution
- Ability to manage relationships with and represent Built for Zero with organizational partners and related constituencies
- Works well under pressure and with tight deadlines
- Strong problem solving and project management skills
- Experience with Asana or other open-source project management platform
- Strong, organized multitasker
- Comfort giving and receiving in-the-moment, direct feedback — to/from peers and supervisors
- Zeal for continuous learning and improvement
- Direct experience or familiarity with the Built for Zero approach is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience preferred
- 3-5 years work experience in a professional environment
- Non-profit project management experience preferred, especially in the homelessness sector
- Experience managing customer relationships
- Non-traditional candidates are welcome. Community Solutions strives for representation and authentic inclusion of applicants and employees who have direct, first-hand experience with poverty, homelessness, and their root causes (including marginalization, discrimination, and inequity).
- Google Drive and business applications
- Microsoft Office, in particular, Microsoft Excel
- Zoom Video Conferencing
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The salary range for this position is $72,200 - $81,200.
Around 5 to 7 days of travel will be required every 3 months to attend semi-annual team retreats, BFZ portfolio-specific huddles, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
This position may also work remotely from anywhere in the US, but would ideally be based in a city in which our team has an office. Community Solutions has offices in Atlanta, Hartford, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, DC.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all Community Solutions staff—full-time, part-time, and contracted. Vaccination documentation must be provided to Community Solutions. Vaccination information is completely confidential between the staff member and HR.