About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. We see these challenges as systems design problems, not just resource issues. Our team helps communities use modern problem solving tools, like design thinking and quality improvement, to improve the design, coordination and delivery of lasting, root cause solutions.
Since 2011, we’ve helped US communities find homes for more than 184,000 homeless Americans at a taxpayer savings of more than $1.4b. Ten of those communities have ended either chronic or veteran homelessness outright. We are led by Macarthur Fellow and internationally recognized innovator Rosanne Haggerty. Our work has been featured on 60 Minutes and recognized by the White House, the United Nations and the Smithsonian.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven problem solvers motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
The position works to identify key strategy and funding partnerships for Community Solutions. As part of the Strategic Partnerships team, the Manager will work primarily to maintain and build relationships to benefit the Built for Zero team and also work with the Director of Development to develop and manage other core Community Solutions’ relationships as needed.
At Community Solutions, we believe that long term partnerships fuel and support our work with and for our communities. Our goal is to have partners invest over time, and understand they are committed to the end state of ending homelessness. With this vision in mind, we seek someone who can manage relationships through learning curves, failing forward, and understanding that outputs are not outcomes.
This position reports to the Principal, Strategic Partnerships and works collegially with the Director of Development and the Principals for Built for Zero.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pursue and maintain funding relationships for Built for Zero
- Pursue and maintain federal government relationships for Built for Zero, including meetings, tracking policy that affects the work and tracking possible funding, specifically and initially focusing on:
- US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- US Department of Veterans Affairs
- US Interagency Council on Homelessness
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- Work with key national nonprofit partners in the homelessness space
- Develop and implement ways to support each other’s work to the benefit of Built for Zero communities
- Research and identify conference and speaking opportunities for Community Solutions staff to disseminate our models in support of relationships with other national entities in our space
- Track legislative and administrative policy that affects the work of our communities participating in the work to end homelessness
- Working collegially with Directors and Managers across the organization to ensure connectivity across work streams, and become intimately familiar and able to communicate effectively around Community Solutions’ history, initiatives and best practices.
- Work with the Director of Development to identify funding gaps and cultivate specific core partnerships to support these gaps.
- Ensure that key partners and funders are aware of Community Solutions’ projects and services available and help disseminate key learnings.
- This position requires attending a variety of partner events, sometimes in the evenings and on weekends
- Manage and continuously update partner records in Salesforce tool to track partnerships progress and reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Three years related work experience in a professional environment, fundraising and resource development a plus
- Facility with operating in an environment where you have much responsibility but little authority
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team player
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- A connector and organizer– able to engage and inspire people to action.
- An effective translator and communicator, equally comfortable speaking to people at home, at City Hall or in a church basement.
- Passion for building inclusive communities.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills – the ability to be both poised and passionate.
- Proven ability to inform diverse audiences and constituencies.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently – while seamlessly engaging other staff and partners.
- A creative problem solver with a belief in unleashing the abundance of people and communities in creating social change.
- Non-traditional candidates welcome. Convince us you have what it takes!
A competitive salary starting at $70,000 will be offered, based upon experience.
Regular travel, up to 30% of the person's time, will be required to attend team retreats, donor meetings, and community events. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
- Microsoft Office
- Google Business Apps
- Social media software and applications
This position is based in Washington, DC. The person hired may work from the CS office at 1005 N. Capitol St NE and/or work remotely, commuting into the city as needed for meetings.