Community Solutions is a nonprofit innovation partner to communities around the world. We leverage engaging, innovative problem solving tools like design thinking and quality improvement to help communities end homelessness and the conditions that create it. The Built for Zero (BFZ) team works with over 100 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end homelessness.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Data Solutions Lead and will be responsible for supporting, maintaining, and continually improving Built for Zero’s data systems with a primary focus on our Salesforce implementation. Semi-regular travel (roughly 5-6 times a year) will be required to attend team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero has a cohesive, integrated, high-functioning data ecosystem: our team and communities can easily access the data they need and are confident in data quality.
- Processes are designed to empower users to access the information they need. Automation is the name of the game and our systems run smoothly without needing staff to make recurring manual updates.
- Our tools are accessible and designed with the user in mind.
- Our systems are ready to go to scale. Our work is constantly growing, so it’s crucial that we build with an eye towards supporting more communities and projects to collect, store, and visualize the data they need to inform their work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the design and continuous improvement of data systems that empower Community Solutions, communities, and partners to analyze data and track and improve performance including:
- Continued design, implementation, and administration of Salesforce
- Development and implementation of new data collection and validation processes for clients and projects
- Automation of ETL processes for preparing data for analysis
- Improvements to data extraction/collection tools and systems that reduce the work communities have to do to access their data
- Development of a more robust Community Solutions database/data warehouse solution
- Management of our Tableau Server deployment
- Strengthening of integrations so that information automatically flows between these tools.
- Support the right level of access for different users and manage the quality of data within our systems.
- Co-develop and share clear training materials and processes for communities, partners, and internal staff.
- Iterate on data infrastructure design and/or functionality, i.e. work to regularly revise data and performance management products based on the changing needs of end users.
- Design new tools, web apps, and visualizations that solve for emergent measurement challenges
- Provide strategic and implementation support for internal data challenges
- Serve as backup to the Senior Data Solutions Analyst and Data Solutions Lead on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- Contribute to team discussions around how to collect, prepare, and visualize data.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Built for Zero Team.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Enthusiasm for learning new software, systems, and processes.
- Experience with Salesforce or other client relationship management tools (CRMs).
- Spreadsheet witch/wizard with experience figuring out how to structure organized, easy-to-read data tables.
- Experience with Tableau or other business intelligence tools is a plus.
- Familiarity with homeless services is a plus.
- At least three years of previous work experience..
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Data storage and management
- Google Sheets
- Amazon Web Services
- Tableau Server
- Project management
- Data prep and visualization
- Google Apps Script and Python
- Tableau Desktop / Prep
- Web development
- HTML / CSS
- Node.js / npm
- GitHub / Git Bash
The salary range for this position is $72,200 to $90,200, depending on experience, proficiency and qualifications.
This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.
Travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all Community Solutions staff—full-time, part-time, and contracted. Vaccination documentation must be provided to Community Solutions. Vaccination information is completely confidential between the staff member and HR.