The Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) Manager will play an integral role in building organizational strength by contributing to the organization's strategy to Attract, Retain, Unify, Train and Include the Best People. This highly visible role will lead the execution of our DEI Strategies designed to build a Culture of Belonging for all. By providing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion experience & expertise work through understanding the different needs of our national workforce. This role will work across multiple groups to ensure that all employees can bring their best self to work. They will ensure all internal DEI programs are driving progress and change against our DEI goals, manage partners at varying stages of leadership, and influence across all organization levels.
Defining Success for this Position:
We define success in this position as:
- Successfully leading the strategy and implementation of 2 strategic measures by 2026:
- Diversity of Candidate Pipeline: 2 diverse candidates at every step for 80% of roles and 1 Black, Indigenous, POC candidate at every step for 100% of roles (DEI)
- DEI Measure (TBD)
- An equitable and inclusive culture is fostered through the development of innovative projects, course developments, and experiences.
- Successfully oversee an internal DEI strategy that aligns with all stakeholders, including leadership, staff, and the Community Race Equity Portfolio Leads external strategy.
- A centralized internal data system and dashboard are established to support effective tracking of trends related to staff demographics, advancement, training, job satisfaction, benefits used, and exits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The DEI Manager is expected to navigate the complexity of our national organization and thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment using innovative ideas, decision making, relationship-building skills. They will own outcomes, drive high-quality results, and Champion CS’ Culture.
Strategy Execution, Stakeholder Management, and Accountability (25 %)
- Align with the Community Race Equity Portfolio Lead and Director of HR to ensure both internal and external DEI strategy aligns with CS’ overall goal.
- Lead, develop, and maintain the overall strategic plan for all internal DEI.
- Partners with CS depts and key internal stakeholders, including HR on organizational DEI and employee engagement strategies.
- Coordinate, implement, and project manage key diversity, equity, and inclusion programs, initiatives, and frameworks to ensure the achievement of diversity objectives within various projects.
- Design presentations, generate reports, present to leadership and staff on DEI matters, discuss opportunities for improvement, and make recommendations.
- Establish benchmark milestones with CS to measure the effectiveness of the DEI strategy and its outputs
- Champion strategies to ensure CS culture, systems, and processes support an environment that speaks to our values, is inclusive for all, and where employees feel able to contribute their fullest
- Establish metrics of accountability to monitor progress against org-wide objectives related to DEI and initiatives that map to those objectives.
- Institute a clear plan and approach for the continued development of the DIG committee, comprised of staff across the organization, who will be responsible for advising senior leadership on key DEI issues and initiatives.
- Build and effectively manage impactful relationships with peer organizations, national working groups, and thought leaders to support our CS values and DEI initiatives.
- Identify and establish key strategic partnerships with external organizations to build CS’ employment brand, build channels for talent attraction and explore program hiring opportunities to attract diverse talent
DEI Development and Management (50%)
- Act as a DEI subject matter expert and share diversity-related issues, best practices, perspectives, insights, and knowledge.
- Work cross-functionally with HR to enhance recruitment processes, build toolkits, collateral and track goal progress to ensure impactful results and improved diversity in candidacy through to offer.
- Partner with HR to coordinate the delivery of onboarding and hiring manager training to build awareness and education around DEI and fair employment practices.
- Actively participate and train staff to be part of hiring teams as a Diversity Advisor to ensure an equitable process throughout the hiring process.
- Deliver industry pipeline performance scorecards, identify and implement successful diversity recruiting channels.
- Oversee the review of current structures, practices, and policies, assessing and analyzing the extent to which they support or hinder CS’ DEI goals
- Apply a DEI lens to broader policies at CS to ensure they reflect a strong and clear commitment to a highly inclusive culture.
- Continuously create, oversee, and facilitate thoughtful DEI courses and training for all staff, including collaborating with external consultants to facilitate potential trainings.
- In alignment with the Community Race Equity PL, develop and implement a shared racial equity competence across all CS that supports and accelerates the achievement of our strategic plan aims.
- Support HR staff in CS Values training framework and implementation
- Support the Contracts and Compliance team in centering equity in their process.
Communication and Events (10%)
- Partner with Comms, and HR to communicate DEI initiatives and messaging to staff.
- Create and manage monthly observance, educational and celebratory email communications, i.e., Lunar New Year, Women’s History Month, Black History Month…etc.
- Manage logistics and partnerships for all internal diversity-related events, including recruiting speakers for DIGiT! Monthly learning sessions.
- Develop and implement an internal communication plan for DEI issues to ensure firm alignment on critical topics.
- Act as the first point of contact for all internal DEI questions.
Budget Management (5%)
- Create and manage the DEI budget, including any costs needed to successfully drive our internal DEI strategy.
Other duties (10%)
- Analyze and present trends in DEI, stay abreast of best practices, and benchmark leading companies and programs to help enhance our DEI efforts
- Ensure an equity lens on all data analysis and make concrete, data-informed recommendations on how we can further advance equity in all of our work
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience in managing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion projects.
- Experience directly supervising dedicated staff.
- Skilled at examining data and metrics to improve the organization.
- Passionate about improving processes and developing innovative DEI solutions.
- Knowledge of best practices in DEI, including expertise and comfort in facilitating meaningful and difficult conversations with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Excellent “soft skills,” including verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience managing and facilitating organizational change efforts while building relationships and creating buy-in, ideally in a highly matrixed, geographically dispersed context.
- Demonstrated project management experience with evidence of managing complex projects and delivering against aggressive timelines.
- Able to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Demonstrated understanding of structural racism and strategies for advancing equity and supporting people of color in the workplace.
- Non-traditional candidates are welcome. Community Solutions strives for representation and authentic inclusion of applicants and employees who have direct, first-hand experience with poverty, homelessness, and their root causes (including marginalization, discrimination, and inequity).
Google Business Apps
Zoom video conferencing software
Survey platforms (i.e. Jotform, Google forms)
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The salary range for this position is between $85.5k to 111.2k+ and will be based on experience.
This is a fully remote position. The person must live on the east coast, ideally near NYC, Washington DC, or Atlanta, GA.
Travel may be required at times (2-3/year) for company retreats and events. (All travel is currently suspended due to COVID.)
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all Community Solutions staff—full-time, part-time, and contracted. Vaccination documentation must be provided to Community Solutions. Vaccination information is completely confidential between the staff member and HR.