Community Solutions (CS) aspires to be the "Google" of the nonprofit world when it comes to people operations, diversity and internal systems. The Operations Team works towards creating an environment at CS in which our staff has the best support possible to grow, thrive, and seamlessly carry out their work on ending homelessness and the conditions that create it. This intern will be responsible for assisting the People Operations and Diversity Project Manager with strategic HR & DEI initiatives. This internship is perfect for a student who is also interested in learning about the internal workings and management of a young, innovative nonprofit.
CS is looking for a summer intern to support our people operations and diversity work. The intern will work part-time, 15-20 hours per week, starting in early June through the end of the summer. If the intern’s school does not provide a stipend for internships, then CS will compensate her/him at $12/hr or minimum wage in the state/city, whichever is higher. The intern will have access to multiple training and educational opportunities throughout the summer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI)
- Gather DEI + PEOPs data, research and formulate recommendations for improvement
- Research and compile data, tools, articles, and programs that support the implementation of our DEI-related strategies into a comprehensive database
- Assist with building an effective pipeline, ensuring diversity of applicants and best practices
- Manage infrastructure for tracking and analyzing DEI analytics to improve strategies over time
- Identify additional sources from which CS can source diverse talent; career fairs, professional organizations, etc.
- Strategize ways to increase DEI presence within CS
People Operations (PEOPS)
- Research, recommend and improve internal processes including, hiring, onboarding, and summer internship program.
- Research and present recommendations to improve DEI initiatives, Employee Experiences, and CS’ Employee Brand Value
- Identify areas of improvement and work with the Ops team to increase employee experience satisfaction.
- Assist with writing, editing, and layout of policy and procedures documents.
- Support technological advancement within the organization
- Support general office duties and look for ways to make internal operations efficient and productive.
- Strong interest in, and passion for, social responsibility and the development of more diverse and inclusive organizations.
- Tech-savvy; data visualization skills a huge plus
- Project management skills, i.e. the ability to innovate and execute on solutions that matter.
- Some analytical and research skills, i.e. the ability to draw conclusions from data
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Quick learner with the ability to self-motivate
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Receives and relays criticism constructively
Training and educational opportunities offered during the internship
- Project management training, including Asana software training
- Organization-wide orientation for summer interns
- Community Solutions’ Core Competencies Training
- Lunch meetings with CS employees, paid for by Community Solutions, to learn about the employees’ roles within the organization, the projects/programs they oversee, and how their work contributes to CS’ mission
- Bi-weekly Executive Team virtual lunches to connect with senior leadership
- Participation in team meetings and all-staff meetings
- Regular check-ins with supervisor for feedback and guidance
- The People Operations Intern will work from our central office in Manhattan, as well as virtually at times.