About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a hardworking team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. We see these challenges as systems design problems, not just resource issues. Our team leverages problem-solving tools, like quality improvement and design thinking, to help communities improve the design, coordination, and delivery of lasting, root cause solutions.
Since 2011, we’ve helped US communities find homes for more than 200,000 homeless Americans at a taxpayer savings of more than $1.6b. Twelve of those communities have ended either chronic or veteran homelessness outright. We are led by Macarthur Fellow and internationally recognized innovator Rosanne Haggerty. Our work has been featured on 60 Minutes and recognized by the White House, the United Nations, and the Smithsonian.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission-oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Data Coaching and Capacity Building Manager and will be responsible for assessing and growing data analytics and measurement skills in Built for Zero communities and in all members of the Built for Zero team. Travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings. This is a full-time one year long position, continued employment is contingent upon available funding.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero communities have the local capacity, skills, and infrastructure to cultivate real-time, quality data, and use it regularly to drive decisions.
- Built for Zero communities and staff members understand how to analyze and interpret data and are confident in basic data analytics concepts.
- Built for Zero communities and staff members are measurably comfortable with data visualization, quality improvement measurement concepts, and Tableau data infrastructure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess the capacity gaps and data infrastructure needs of Built for Zero communities in the following areas:
- By-Name List management
- Data analytics and visualizations
- Quality improvement measurement concepts
- Coordinate and/or conduct trainings regarding data and performance management tools and concepts, such as the Performance Management Trackers, Built for Zero data uploads, and Tableau infrastructure:
- Co-design and adapt a Tableau training curriculum for BFZ communities.
- Coordinate trainings with Tableau partners, develop appropriate training packages/interventions for BFZ communities and internal staff members.
- Update training material that includes but is not limited to, BFZ reporting guides, instructional material, and self-help documents.
- Assist in the design of curriculum and develop eLearning courses, tutorial videos, conduct live webinars, and update our training material with helpful tips.
- Schedule and communicate to BFZ communities and BFZ internal staff about trainings, webinars, and workshops.
- Track community capacity and training goals over time by creating milestones and support mechanisms:
- Develop appropriate strategies, implement support plans, monitor outcomes and improvements.
- Create a feedback loop that regularly evaluates trainee experience and identifies areas for improvement.
- Provide one-on-one data technical support to a cohort of communities to help them achieve quality data standards and other data-related goals:
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational and informational webinars from vendor, HUD, and others as it relates to HMIS and Tableau.
- Develop tools, processes and strategies to address common community barriers as they emerge.
- Establish good working relationships with end users and provide technical support via phone, email, web, or in-person.
- Assist the Knowledge Manager in capturing best practices from high performing Built for Zero communities.
- Support improvements to the Built for Zero internal performance management infrastructure.
- Serve as backup to the Data Coaching and Capacity Building Manager on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- As a representative of Community Solutions, present on Built for Zero learnings, methods and/or outcomes at conferences, workshops, convenings, etc.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Built for Zero Team.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two to three years of previous work experience in a professional environment.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Strong working knowledge of Tableau/Tableau Server, Excel, and Google Suite products.
- Experience with data visualization, data analysis, and quantitative measurement concepts is a plus.
- Ideal candidate would have experience with public speaking, facilitation, and providing consulting support to community stakeholders.
- Ideal candidate has great presentation skills and is able to successfully convey technical concepts for non-technical audiences.
- Comfort with systems and macro-level thinking.
- Knowledge of quality improvement science or related field (Lean Six Sigma or other process improvement framework) is preferred.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- Organized and analytical with a high level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Google Suite
- Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel
- Tableau/Tableau Server
- Salesforce (preferred)
- Amazon Web Services (preferred)
- This position can be located anywhere in the US and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.
A competitive salary between $65,000 - $70,000 will be offered, depending on experience.
Travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.