About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a non-profit organization that works to achieve a lasting end to homelessness that leaves no one behind. We envision a more equitable future where homelessness is never inevitable or a way of life, for anyone. Since 2015, we have led Built for Zero, a movement of more than 70 cities and counties using data to change how they work radically and the impact they can achieve — and proving that it is possible to make homelessness rare and brief. Nearly half of those communities have reduced homelessness in their communities, and 13 of those communities have ended veteran or chronic homelessness. In order to help communities equitably and sustainably end homelessness, we are also working to identify solutions that can address gaps in housing, disrupt inflow into homelessness, and produce more racially equitable systems.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission-oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values-driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
We seek a detail-oriented, self-motivated, and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Data Solutions Manager and will be responsible for supporting, maintaining, and continually improving Built for Zero’s data systems (including our database, client relationship management software [CRM], Tableau Server deployment, and training materials/processes). Semi-regular travel (roughly 5-6 times a year) will be required to attend team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero has a cohesive, integrated, high-functioning data ecosystem: our team and communities can easily access the data they need and are confident in data quality.
- Processes are designed to empower users to access the information they need. Automation is the name of the game, and our systems run smoothly without needing staff to make recurring manual updates.
- Our tools are accessible and designed with the user in mind.
- Our systems are ready to go to scale. Our work is constantly growing, so it’s crucial that we build with an eye towards supporting more communities and projects with collecting, storing, and visualizing the data they need to inform their work
Support the design and continuous improvement of data systems that empower Community Solutions, communities, and partners to analyze data and track and improve performance by:
- Developing and improving data extraction/collection and validation processes for clients and projects
- Automating ETL processes to prepare data for analysis
- Creating new tools, web apps, and visualizations that solve for emergent measurement challenges
- Improving the design, implementation, and administration of our client relationship management tool (CRM)
- Managing our Tableau Server deployment
- Designing a more robust Community Solutions database/data warehouse solution
- Strengthening integrations so that information automatically flows between these platforms
- Supporting the right level of access for different users and managing the quality of data within our systems
- Co-developing and sharing clear training materials and processes for communities, partners, and internal staff
- Performing human-centered requirements gathering, design, and feedback collection for new tools, metrics, and frameworks
- Providing strategic and implementation support for internal data challenges
- Serve as backup to the Senior Data Solutions Analyst and Data Solutions Manager on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- Contribute to team discussions around how to collect, prepare, and visualize data.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Built for Zero Team.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Enthusiasm for learning new software, systems, and processes.
- Spreadsheet witch/wizard with experience figuring out how to structure organized, easy-to-read data tables.
- Experience with Salesforce or other client relationship management tools (CRMs).
- Experience with Tableau or other business intelligence tools is a plus.
- Familiarity with homeless services is a plus.
- At least three years of previous work experience..
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines, and delegate appropriately.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Project management
- Data prep and visualization
- Google Apps Script and Python
- Tableau Desktop / Prep
- Data storage and management
- Google Sheets
- Amazon Web Services
- Tableau Server
- Web development
- HTML / CSS
- Node.js / npm
- GitHub / Git Bash
- This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. and provides the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The salary for this position is $70,000.