Reporting to the President of Community Solutions, the Director of Housing Systems is responsible for advancing Community Solutions’ mission to accelerate an end to homelessness in US communities through initiatives that improve utilization of local resources.
Community Solutions supports the Built for Zero movement of more than 90 cities, counties and regions that applies a data-driven approach to ending homelessness at the population level. The success of Built for Zero has revealed a need for housing system supports to further increase coordination of housing resources and accountability for ending homelessness across communities.
Through the Built for Zero movement, Community Solutions supports local teams in creating results-based housing systems. 14 Built for Zero communities have now ended chronic or veteran homelessness and many more are within sight of that goal. The Housing Systems team will provide additional support in closing housing supply gaps, working closely with our social impact real estate team, policy team, community stakeholders and Built for Zero teams.
We seek a senior leader with a proven track record of advancing non-traditional housing strategies and an aptitude for building movements for change across a broad network of stakeholders and competing priorities. Experience navigating government program rules and processes and in overcoming implementation challenges is essential. This new role will be a member of Community Solutions’ executive team and will oversee a small and growing team of talented professionals.
About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions (https://community.solutions/) is a team of social problem solvers working toward a lasting end to homelessness and the conditions that create it. We see these challenges as system design problems, not just resource issues. Our team helps communities use modern problem -solving tools, like design thinking and quality improvement, to improve the design, coordination and delivery of lasting, root cause solutions.
We work at the intersection of housing and public health and have demonstrated that a public health approach – data driven, collaborative, prevention oriented – is effective in reducing and ending homelessness.
By 2026, we aim to reach a tipping point where:
- homelessness is understood as an urgent and solvable public health priority
- the barriers to its elimination in many communities have been removed and
- mayors and county executives are held accountable for maintaining a state of “functional zero” where homelessness is rare and quickly resolved should it occur.
In spring 2021, Community Solutions received the MacArthur Foundation’s 100&Change award (https://www.macfound.org/programs/100change/) to support our plan to accelerate an end to homelessness in 75 US communities and to clear the path of critical policy barriers to advance the elimination of homelessness in all communities.
The Director of Housing Systems will lead a team that initially knits together three parallel streams of work in Build for Zero Communities:
- Landlord-Tenant Assistance (Support private Landlords and Community Solutions’ acquisitions)
- Create a Landlord Support Network to address and find positive solutions to landlord-tenant disputes
- Provide ongoing centralized training and problem-solving support to property management staff, on-site case management staff and local social service providers working with building residents
- Develop a Landlord Assistance Network. Test and measure the impact on reductions in homelessness of a range of incentives to increase the number of landlords and the number of new units participating in local “coordinated entry systems”
- Housing Placement Bridge (Support a quick and smooth transition from homelessness to housing)
- Work with key stakeholders to create a seamless process for immediately filling vacancies in Community Solutions’ acquisition sites, including forecasting vacancies, working with local coordinated entry teams to streamline and accelerate their eligibility review and placement steps, troubleshoot system bottlenecks, and identify larger policy barriers for attention and resolution.
- Continually evaluate and improve the housing placement rate and optimal use of each housing resource across the entire community
- Apply learnings to support the Landlord Assistance Network.
- Rapid Repurposing of Existing Assets
- Assist targeted Built for Zero communities in repurposing shelters and transitional housing facilities to expand the supply of permanent supportive and affordable housing by July 2026.
- Collaborate with local Built for Zero partners to identify high impact project opportunities. Provide design, financing, regulatory and project management support for these projects.
The Director will oversee the hiring, development and management of a Housing Systems staff. The Director will be responsible for overall leadership of a team of three comprised of the following roles:
- Housing Project Coordinator: Oversee implementation and operations of Landlord-Tenant Assistance and Housing Placement Bridge Programs
- T/A Project Coordinator: Oversee implementation and operation of Rapid Repurposing of Existing Assets Program
- Project Support: Provide support to Director and Project Coordinators
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- ·Work directly with Community Solutions’ Built for Zero, Real Estate and Policy teams to define, prototype, refine and scale the Landlord-Tenant Assistance Program, Housing Placement Bridge Program, and Rapid Repurposing of Existing Assets Program
- Lead a team that knits together these three parallel streams of work and drives synergistic progress to help communities identify opportunities to use existing housing assets more effectively to reach “functional zero” homelessness
- Manage operational activities of all three programs including the research and development of a sound programmatic strategy for each that will marry the goals of Community Solutions’ portfolios and deliver on short- and long-term objectives
- Set a clear vision and plan for each program while flexing the ability to adapt quickly as ideas are tested, rapidly iterating and adjusting as new data from communities emerges
- Create a concrete set of quantitative metrics with which to measure impact and progress to make sure efforts are on track (and take corrective action when off track) to achieve Housing Systems performance goals and use these data to innovate across programs to produce the greatest potential impact in each case.
- Manage, mentor and grow a team of high-performing individuals who will oversee the inception of the work and carry forward early wins to nationally scalable solutions
- Work seamlessly with our Build for Zero, Real Estate and Policy/Communications teams to leverage our staff expertise and coordinate messaging across portfolios
- Collaborate on development of an institutional knowledge learning portal to capture successful strategies from Housing Systems communities and document conditions for success that define groundbreaking early achievements.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience in project management with a demonstrated track record of success bringing to bear large-scale change in complex, multi-stakeholder and multi-layered environments
- Demonstrated ability to build and cultivate relationships with partners and stakeholders across a broad range of community entities, including but not limited to: civil society and advocacy groups, city and county governments and government agencies, nonprofit organizations and public-private partnerships
- Deep experience in designing solutions that reconfigure the built environment to solve for social challenges
- Proven track record of managing successful design-development initiatives with groups of formally unaffiliated stakeholders
- Understanding of and experience working with the principles of Quality
- Improvement, Process Improvement and Design Thinking
- Strong orientation toward resourcefulness and self-directed management matched equally by focus on team performance and knowing when and how to escalate issues to the executive team for brainstorming and thought partnership
- Clear and effective communications skills, particularly in translating complex issues to a diverse audience, with experience in organization-wide and externally facing roles
- Exceptional attention to detail, data-driven decision-making and able to operate at high-level to ensure strategic alignment with many disparate groups and shifting priorities
- Ability to break down problems across a wide range of areas, identify root causes before developing and systematically testing potential hypothesis and solutions
- Demonstrated self-awareness and empathetic communication style with an ability and eagerness to learn, improve, and grow as a leader, thinker and doer.
Manage a team of 3 full-time professionals and external consultants
- Google Suites
- Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel
Salary Range: The salary range for this position is $111k to $144k+, depending on experience, proficiency, and qualifications.
Note that our salary structure is transparent and ensures that salary advancement is attainable with increased tenure, performance, independence, responsibility, and embodiment of our organizational values.
Location and Travel Requirements:
This position provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if such an arrangement meets the needs of Community Solutions.
Travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site training or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all Community Solutions staff—full-time, part-time, and contracted.