About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a non-profit organization that works to achieve a lasting end to homelessness that leaves no one behind. We envision a more equitable future where homelessness is never inevitable or a way of life, for anyone. Since 2015, we have led Built for Zero, a movement of more than 70 cities and counties using data to radically change how they work and the impact they can achieve — and proving that it is possible to make homelessness rare and brief. Nearly half of those communities have reduced homelessness in their communities, and 14 have ended veteran or chronic homelessness. In order to help communities equitably and sustainably end homelessness, we are also working to identify solutions that can address gaps in housing, disrupt inflow into homelessness, and produce more racially equitable systems.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission-oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values-driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
We seek an experienced, self-motivated candidate to develop and lead a Digital Infrastructure Strategy that drives structural changes to enable every community to use data and technology to reduce and end homelessness. By developing data standards and technical specifications, shaping the software marketplace, and understanding the impact of policy and funding incentives, this role will seek to address major data and tech challenges facing the homelessness-response field at scale.
This position reports to the Portfolio Lead for Systems Building and is responsible for the supervision of both people and work.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Community Solutions has a clear theory of change for impacting policy, data standards, and the software marketplace.
- We can clearly communicate our vision and approach to key stakeholders, including policymakers, practitioners in the field, and tech executives, and we are building a coalition of partners passionate about making this vision a reality.
- State and local pilot projects serve as case studies and proofs of concept that changes to funding/reporting policies, data standards, and the HMIS software marketplace can transform a homeless response system’s ability to use data to reduce and end homelessness.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Own and continuously improve our Digital Infrastructure strategy that will shift structures (ex: policy, data standards, software marketplace) to create change at scale.
- Develop a deep understanding of existing data standards, policies, and funding incentives and what needs to be different. Work collaboratively with the Policy & Advocacy Team to advocate for and implement structural changes necessary for achieving population-level reductions in homelessness.
- Evangelize for data and technology as catalysts for ending homelessness and build confidence in others to spread the message.
- Build and organize a coalition of partners committed to a shared vision and strategy.
- Spearhead pilot projects at the state and local level to demonstrate what’s possible by:
- Leading discovery work to understand the root causes of dysfunction and bright spots where communities have developed local solutions.
- Working with local stakeholders to design tests of change (ex: alternative funding models or data standards) and capture key learning.
- Partnering with Community Solutions Policy and Communications teams to inform policy agenda and disseminate findings.
- Hire and supervise a small team (1-2 staff) who are laser-focused on the structural changes that will enable national change by:
- Hire and onboard new staff who can effectively deliver on the work required for open positions.
- Effectively leverage and align the skills, strengths, and experience of those supervised towards project work.
- Support those supervised in creating clear and measurable goals in support of achieving aims.
- Proactively support staff development through professional development, coaching, and identifying work opportunities for growth.
- Serve as backup to the Portfolio Lead on calls, meetings, and training, as needed.
- Support the design and delivery of community investments that solve for local gaps in data and technology capacity and digital infrastructure.
- Advise international and large-scale change partners on key infrastructure decisions.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Built for Zero team.
- Five to ten years of previous work experience focused on public-interest technology.
- Familiarity with Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), Electronic Health Records (EHRs), and or equivalent care coordination software.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a general audience.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- Non-traditional candidates are welcome. Community Solutions strives for representation and authentic inclusion of applicants and employees who have direct, first-hand experience with poverty, homelessness, and their root causes (including marginalization, discrimination, and inequity).
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and uncertainty.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
This role will supervise a team of 1-2 analysts, engineers, or advisors.
- Project management and planning
- Google Suite (docs, sheets, slides)
- Data analysis and visualization
- Google sheets
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The current range for this position is $85,500 - $111,200, but the actual salary would be commensurate with the candidate's experience and skills.
This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles and New York.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all Community Solutions staff—full-time, part-time, and contracted. Vaccination documentation must be provided to Community Solutions. Vaccination information is completely confidential between the staff member and HR.