Community Solutions is a nonprofit innovation partner to communities around the world. We leverage engaging, innovative problem-solving tools like design thinking and quality improvement to help communities end homelessness and the conditions that create it. The Built for Zero (BFZ) team works with over 100 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end homelessness.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated, and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Data Coach and Capacity Building Manager and will be responsible for assessing and co-designing, data governance, and data sharing frameworks with a focus on establishing data warehouses in BFZ communities. Semi-regular travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Develop a data integrations framework to help support BFZ communities identify opportunities to build robust data sharing platforms with other existing community data sources, including but not limited to; application-to-application integrations, services, internal and external API, file transfer, and EDI and SQL queries.
- BFZ communities have defined roles and responsibilities related to data integration governance and privacy agreements.
- BFZ communities are supported through development of data warehouse process models, including: sourcing, loading, transformation, and extraction.
- Serve as a liaison to assist BFZ communities with mapping data between source systems, data warehouses, and data marts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guide communities through the integration process by utilizing data literacy concepts to describe use cases/outcomes, data sources and management concepts, and analytical approaches/options.
- The ability to translate among the languages used by technology vendors, database architects, IT stakeholders, state and local government entities, and community partners.
- Focus on improvement of data quality and the protection of sensitive data through modifications to organization behavior policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data architecture.
- Design and implement data integration frameworks for BFZ communities invested in community-wide data collaboration efforts.
- Develop and govern a data governance implementation roadmap including strategic priorities for development of information-based capabilities
- Assist communities with developing robust data sharing/collection tools and systems that reduce the work communities have to do to access their data
- Develop and implement plans to help communities connect their data to upstream and downstream systems via APIs and data warehouses
- Maintain knowledge of laws, ordinances, regulations, city or departmental procedures in the performance of duties such as HUD McKinney-Vento Act, HUD Homeless Management Information Systems (HMIS) Data & Technical Standards, HMIS Data Standards, and HMIS Data Dictionary
- Studies and understands processes and applications, including their effect on data and reporting, and applies the knowledge gained in helping BFZ communities design data warehouses and reports.
- Assists BFZ communities with establishing system documentation and ensures it is continually sustained.
- Configuration redesign of HMIS privacy and security infrastructure for client authorization data sharing requirements.
- Offer advanced HMIS technical support and play an integral role in supporting the development and implementation of program and system-level performance standards
- Serve as backup to the Data Coach and Capacity Building Manager on calls, meetings, and training, as needed.
- Contribute to team discussions around how to collect, prepare, and analyze data.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Data and Performance Management Team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Experience developing and working with data warehouses and data governance models
- Experience creating metadata, developing ETL processes, and using several reporting tools; and performing data cleansing functions
- Enjoy breaking down complex problems to identify primary drivers
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, Tableau, and Google Suite products. Experience with databases, data visualization, and data analysis is a plus.
- Three years of previous work experience in a professional environment.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- Non-traditional candidates are welcome. Community Solutions strives for representation and authentic inclusion of applicants and employees who have direct, first-hand experience with poverty, homelessness, and their root causes (including marginalization, discrimination, and inequity).
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Google Suite
- Tableau Desktop / Prep
- Tableau Server
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The salary range for this position is between $65,000-$70,000 and will be based upon experience.
- This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.