Community Solutions seeks an experienced, self-motivated, and detail-oriented person to join the Real Estate team as Property Manager of the Swift Factory, an 80,000 square foot 2.5 acre commercial and community campus in Hartford’s North End neighborhood. Once a hub for Hartford industry, the M. Swift and Sons gold leafing factory closed its doors in 2005 and was donated to Community Solutions. After a 10-year community engagement, fundraising, planning, and construction effort, the building has been transformed into a vibrant hub for entrepreneurship, training, learning and community engagement.
The Property Manager will be the lead for all aspects of Swift Factory’s leasing, marketing, and property management operations. You will oversee efforts to engage the community and ensure Swift’s diverse, small business tenants receive best in class property/office management services. You will manage a team for which our role as stewards of this community investment is much more than a job but a mission for a new kind of inclusive economic development.
About Community Solutions
Community Solutions is a non-profit working toward a lasting end to homelessness that leaves no one behind. Since 2015, we have led Built for Zero, a movement of more than 70 cities and counties using data to radically change how they work and the impact they can achieve — and proving that it is possible to make homelessness rare and brief. More than half of those communities have reduced homelessness in their communities, and 14 of those communities have ended veteran or chronic homelessness. In order to help communities equitably and sustainably end homelessness, we also work to identify solutions that can address gaps in housing, disrupt inflow into homelessness, and produce more racially equitable systems.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission-oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven innovators motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
Defining Success for this Position:
The Property Manager is responsible for the overall operational and financial aspects of the Swift Factory property and meeting project goals and vision. The position is accountable for areas of personnel management, leasing, tenant relations, maintenance, collections, budget management, capital improvements, information reporting and compliance.
Further success includes:
- Demonstrating a commitment to the community
- Building supportive relationships with the entrepreneurs leasing space at Swift and ensuring community members benefit from employment opportunities created through Swift operations.
- Carrying out the fiduciary responsibility of operations
- Achieving an over 90% occupancy rate, maintaining an efficient operating budget, and securing leases and other financial commitments to maintain a sustainable positive net operating income.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Swift Factory marketing and leasing activities
- Lead on overall leasing and marketing strategies for the property’s ~36 office and commercial units.
- Establish a competitive and viable pricing strategy for the units.
- Syndicate multi-organization collaborations for larger leases.
- Engage and present to internal and external executive-level stakeholders throughout the leasing and negotiating process.
- Establish and meet targets for building occupancy
- Maintain a customer relationship management (CRM) database to track all leasing and marketing communications and every stage of the leasing process for each tenant
- Provide monthly reporting to internal and external stakeholders on leasing activity.
- Work with tenants to build out specifications, budget, and timeline for the fit out of their space, as needed
- Perform community outreach and public engagement work with neighboring organizations and businesses, attending community meetings as needed.
Swift operations and property management
- Engage sub-contractor and vendors for all aspects of property management operations, including the drafting and solicitation of Request for Proposals (RFPs) and bid selection while maintaining Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) goals
- Manage design and construction of interior and tenant fit out packages, as needed
- Develop, improve, and implement policies and procedures for tenant compliance
- Review and approve invoices and expenditures
- Monitor and assure compliance with all relevant codes
- Support and facilitate property audits, lender and investor walk-throughs and reporting
- Monitor energy/utility consumption and reporting of tenant utility consumption
- Oversee rent collection, processes cash receipts, security deposits and vendor invoices
- Oversee move-ins/outs, security deposits, transfers, rent changes and tenant violations
- Create and maintain a comprehensive property budget and provide reporting with regard to actual vs projected budget performance, including the ability to stress test the financial model
- Respond to requests for information from auditors and accountants related to audits, tax returns, financial reporting, and monthly reconciliations
- Oversee the on-time payment of annual corporate and real estate taxes
- Help manage the quarterly, semi-annual and annual reporting requirements of investors, lenders, and the federal agencies that funded Swift
- Maintain service agreements and current certificates of insurance from vendors
- Foster a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents/tenants
- Oversee the resolution of questions and complaints from residents/tenants
- Manage a team (currently of 3) and ensure they receive the support needed to do their best work
- Team currently includes:
- An administrative coordinator, focused on supporting tenants, managing the front office, and assisting with rent collection and bookkeeping responsibilities
- A building superintendent, focused on custodial, maintenance and inspections of building systems
- An assistant project manager, focused on marketing and community engagement
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- A minimum of five years of property and asset management, leasing, project management or related experience
- Experience in real estate transactions including negotiating contract of sales, leases
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written)
- Understanding of proformas and budgets
- Familiarity with the North Hartford and Downtown neighborhoods
- Passion for improving the lives of North Hartford residents, and for community, economic and real estate development
- Understanding of structural racism and its impact on communities of color
- Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and projects in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately
- Own & operate a vehicle with a valid US driver's license
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus
- Google Business Apps
- Microsoft Office Apps
- Zoom video conferencing software
- Customer relationship management (CRM) software
- Yardi Property Management Software
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- This is a full-time position located at the Swift Factory in North Hartford, CT.
- Flexibility for work weeks with nights and weekends
- Post-COVID travel within the Northeast USA is anticipated 2-3 times per year to attend meetings, events, conferences and trainings.
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The salary range for this position is between $85,500 - $111,200 and will be based upon experience.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identify, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.