As the Director of HR, you’ll help empower, develop, and care for CS’ most valuable asset - our people! This role strives to bring our Talent Strategy to life and truly embed its core message into the culture. Key pillars of HR’s plan include promoting continuous learning and improvement, change management, developing leadership capabilities to ensure the right behaviors are role modeled, and building a trusting, transparent culture. This role is hands-on and will balance the strategic with the tactical (e.g. get into the weeds to solve daily problems) while overseeing the full range of HR including HR Operations (including compliance, systems, benefits, and compensation), L&D, Experience across the employee lifecycle, Talent Acquisition and acting as a partner to Diversity Equity and Inclusion.
The ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills, empathy for others, and thrive at building solid relationships based on trust. This role functions as a Human Resources expert and key business partner and will manage a small Talent team (3). This role reports directly to the COO.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Demonstrate full and complete control of all HR operations of the business
- Oversee the strategy and implementation to reach these Strategic Plan Measures by 2026:
- Quality of recruitment process: Positions filled within 60 days
- Employees will recommend CS as a place to work to a friend (0-10)
- Staff move across CS salary growth levels at equitable rates
- 80% of staff respond favorably on fairness and feeling valued
- Organizational change management strategy is streamlined for all HR-related projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and lead a team of HR professionals, providing leadership and mentorship to direct reports with clear direction, regular honest feedback, and personal development.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
HR Strategy + Operations
- Advise the COO on talent and staffing evaluation, performance management and development, total rewards, compliance, and risk.
- Leverage data analytics, insights, and industry practices to evaluate HR operations' effectiveness make recommendations for responsive or cost-effective changes; present findings and recommendations to senior leaders to create buy-in, alignment, and enforcement.
- Develop and oversee HR, culture, and learning initiatives that reflect the organization’s mission, values, and strategic priorities, including through participation in organization-wide working groups (e.g., the culture committee).
- Create and delegate the establishment of metrics of accountability to monitor progress against org-wide objectives related to HR and initiatives that map to those objectives.
- Collaborate with leadership to update company policies and procedures, communicating and enforcing organization values in compliance with all legal and organizational requirements, standards, and procedures.
- Consult with the legal counsel as required in order to reduce legal risks and ensure regulatory compliance in the day-to-day management of employees.
- Oversee the HRIS and benefits, continuously identifying and implementing new processes, technologies, and workflows that will help us grow and maintain an excellent experience for our staff.
- Review, track and strategically enhance employee benefits to support a growing and diverse employee population. Manage the annual benefit renewal process and oversee negotiations for Open Enrollment and relationships with benefits vendors and PEO.
- Lead annual review of employee handbook policies, recommending revisions and inclusion of new policies, to ensure compliance.
- Stay informed on employment best practices through research, industry events, and networking to help the organization design and evolve best-in-class Talent + Employee Experience.
Organizational Development & Culture
- Write, deliver, and facilitate internal communications to help with change management and consistent messaging across the organization.
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the organization, supporting employees through hardship, and influencing managers to enact changes that preserve what’s unique about our culture while helping us evolve to support the needs of our people.
Compensation & Benefits (Total Rewards)
- Provide strategic and operational leadership in the design, development, implementation, administration, and communication of Total Rewards (compensation and benefits) including base pay, executive compensation, incentive programs, wellness, and retirement.
- Collaborate with the Performance, Learning, and Development Manager to oversee the bi-annual merit review process; optimize total rewards offerings to attract top talent, foster retention, and enhance engagement; determine and implement metrics that assess and monitor the effectiveness of ongoing rewards programs and new initiatives.
- Manage our equitable compensation philosophy, employee value proposition (EVP), and salary range structure that governs decisions and processes around base pay, benefits, or other incentives.
- Manage compensation cycles including annual base salary, promotion, bonus, and equity review cycles
- Collaborate with leaders to develop compensation planning guidelines, and create manager trainings and employee communications.
- Partner with the COO and Controller to prepare and manage the annual budget for compensation, benefits, perks and L&D costs; oversee periodic market analysis to ensure competitiveness and support internal equity.
Hiring & Recruitment
- Advise best practices related to talent acquisition. Serve as a strategic thought partner to ensure recruiting goals are aligned with organizational objectives.
- Work closely with the COO and leadership on staffing decisions, workforce & success planning, performance intervention & management.
- Manage end-to-end senior level hires and partner with HR Generalist to ensure the right talent in the key roles.
- Ensure recruiting goals are efficiently accomplished.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Successful candidates will demonstrate People and Culture expertise as well as exceptional communications, coaching, facilitation, project management, and relationship-building skills.
- 10+ years of Human Resources experience.
- Preferred Certifications: SHRM-CP/SCP, PHR, SPHR
- Experience supporting and being adaptive to groups.
- They will be an experienced professional with expertise and background in multiple aspects of human resources, including staff development and talent management strategies.
- Skilled at examining data (quantitative & qualitative) and metrics to improve the organization.
- Tech-savvy: skilled in creating clear presentations and becoming familiar with new software easily.
- Passionate about improving processes and developing innovative HR solutions.
- Knowledge of best practices in HR, including expertise and comfort in facilitating meaningful and difficult conversations with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Excellent “soft skills” including verbal and written communication skills. Experience in facilitating a plus.
- Experience managing and facilitating organizational change efforts while building relationships and creating buy-in, ideally in a highly matrixed, geographically dispersed context.
- Advanced project management skills; ability to lead projects at a level to influence and obtain buy-in, and then drive execution and achievement of the right results.
- Able to work independently to achieve goals while being a team player.
- Experience effectively managing remote teams.
- Google Business Apps
- Zoom video conferencing software
- Knack database software
- Survey platforms (i.e. Jotform, Google forms)
Manage a team of 3 full-time professionals (HR Generalist, DEI Manager, and LD Manager), supervise the work of an external contractor who has primary responsibility for employee relations, and oversees the relationship with our PEO.
The salary range for this position is $124k - 130k+, depending on experience, proficiency, and qualifications.
Note that our salary structure is transparent and ensures that salary advancement is attainable with increased tenure, performance, independence, responsibility, and embodiment of our organizational values.
This is a fully remote position. The person must live on the east coast, ideally near NYC, Washington DC, or Atlanta, GA.
Travel may be required at times (2-3/year) for company retreats and events. (All travel is currently suspended due to COVID.)
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all Community Solutions staff—full-time, part-time, and contracted. Vaccination documentation must be provided to Community Solutions. Vaccination information is completely confidential between the staff member and HR.