Community Solutions is a nonprofit innovation partner to communities around the world. We use fun, innovative problem solving tools like design thinking and quality improvement to help communities end homelessness and the conditions that create it. The Built for Zero (BFZ) team works with over 100 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end homelessness.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position will be responsible for providing data coaching activities and performance management support to Built for Zero communities and to all members of the Built for Zero team. Travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero communities have quality, real-time data and are supported in the use of Quality Improvement methodologies to set goals and measure progress.
- Built for Zero communities understand how to identify and clear any data or technology barriers keeping them from achieving a quality By Name List and tracking an end to homelessness.
- Built for Zero communities and internal BFZ staff are supported and trained on data and performance management concepts and tools.
- Built for Zero communities have a deep understanding of BFZ reporting fields, and are able to upload their data in a timely and accurate fashion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to Clear the Path framework for communities to use their data to end homelessness in their communities
- Assess the technology gaps and data training needs of new and existing Built for Zero communities data staff/teams to further their data capacity
- Co-design and conduct analyses to aid in effective development and deployment of appropriate strategies, to clear the path for Built for Zero communities
- Implement support plans, and monitor outcomes and improvements related to building data capacity in Built fo Zero communities such as Tableau license and trainings
- Identify and address the needs of communities who struggle to report timely, quality data.
- Support work around creation of a community level data solution (client level data)
- Contribute to building out data strategy to easily track real time data on inflow into homelessness
- Provide one-on-one data coaching support to a cohort of communities to help them achieve quality data standards and other data-related goals to be able to track and end to homelessness on (at least) a monthly basis
- Prepare and conduct new community data orientation calls and/or bi-annual webinars.
- Assist and coach new communities in the development of their By-Name Lists and track improvements through By-Name list scorecard tools with a focus on data infrastructure areas, and integrating a Racial Equity framework
- Support and track community progress toward individual and aggregate data coaching goals including embedding community data in coaching sessions
- Develop tools, processes and strategies to address common community barriers as they emerge.
- Provide data coaching interventions at on-sites and other in-person convenings such as Learning Sessions.
- Formally and informally train Built for Zero team members and participating communities on Data and Performance Management tools and concepts, such as the Performance Management Trackers and data reliability.
- Assist the Knowledge Manager in capturing best practices from high performing Built for Zero communities.
- Support improvements to the Built for Zero internal performance management infrastructure.
- Serve as backup to Data Leads on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- As a representative of Community Solutions, present on Built for Zero learnings, methods and/or outcomes at conferences, workshops, convenings, etc.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Built for Zero Team.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two to three years of previous work experience in a professional environment.
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Experience in utilizing and training end users on HMIS or comparable government databases.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and Google Suite products.
- Ideal candidate has familiarity with homeless services sector or related public health field(s).
- Ideal candidate has experience with data improvement coaching and possesses a professional coaching demeanor.
- Ideal candidate has experience with public speaking, facilitation, and providing consulting support to community stakeholders.
- Experience with data visualization, data analysis, and quantitative measurement is a plus.
- Comfort with systems and macro-level thinking.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Google Suite
- Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel
- Tableau/Tableau Server
The salary range for this position is $72,200 to $90,200, depending on experience, proficiency and qualifications.
This position can be located anywhere in the US and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.
Travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all Community Solutions staff—full-time, part-time, and contracted. Vaccination documentation must be provided to Community Solutions. Vaccination information is completely confidential between the staff member and HR.