Who We Are:
Community Solutions is a team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. We are looking for an exceptional leader able to operationalize a big vision as our new Chief Operating Officer (COO).
The Person We’re Seeking:
We seek an entrepreneurial and highly analytical leader with a significant track record of success to lead our internal operations as we scale our impact to change the course of homelessness. Community Solutions powers a growing movement to end homelessness at a population level through an agile, data -driven methodology centered in continuous quality improvement. We work throughout the United States and in a growing number of international settings to create a “new normal” where homelessness is understood and responded to by leaders as a solvable problem requiring accountability, coordination and continuous, data-driven improvement. Working with 90+ communities that are part of this voluntary effort, we aim to reach and sustain a “functional zero” endstate in diverse cities and regions where homelessness is rare and resolved quickly and effectively when it does occur. We are team of 60+ working from multiple bases throughout the country, including six offices. Our current annual budget of $10.8 million is supported by a mix of foundation, corporate, and individual contributions and earned revenue.
To accomplish this, Community Solutions engages, trains and coaches local teams in creating a results-based housing system across their community through our “Built for Zero” initiative, and through our social impact real estate team that supports these communities in closing housing supply gaps through a range of innovative financing, development and occupancy management strategies. 13 of the communities in our network have now ended chronic or veteran homelessness, and many more are within sight of that goal.
As the close partner to the CEO and CFO and member of the Executive Team, the COO will enable Community Solutions to bring the most effective, efficient and high performing team, tools and practices to the work of supporting communities, and assure that we are poised for continued impact at an ever larger scale. This is an exceptional opportunity for a creative, process-oriented business leader to impact work that is revolutionizing its field.
A successful candidate will be a proven, solution-oriented, cross-functional leader with experience driving strategy, tightly managing resources, mitigating risks and achieving measurable results. This role requires a mission-focus, alignment with Community Solutions’ values and culture, strong, clear communication skills, relationship management with Community Solutions’ Board, Executive Team, staff, partners and other key stakeholders, superior team-building abilities and experience with management oversight of complex, dynamic problems.
Community Solutions will achieve its five year goals toward its long term vision of ending homelessness through the superior execution of its strategy by all team members:
- Homelessness will be understood and responded to as a solvable problem;
- The numbers of those experiencing homelessness will have steadily and lastingly declined
- Community Solutions will be financially sound and operating at scale.
- Our internal systems are supporting an inclusive, equitable, and productive workplace experience for an exceptionally high performing and diverse staff
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all operational matters of Community Solutions and its affiliate organizations.
- Translate the organization’s vision, business plan, strategy and performance targets into functional plans and performance targets in collaboration with other executives.
- Drive quality improvement practices throughout the organization’s operations to optimize results, resources, and employee experience
- Coordinate resources (including people and capital) across the whole organization, identifying and resolving key shared resource issues.
- Identify and integrate the capabilities and resources of partners and potential partners to support and accelerate our work
- Drive integration of racial equity work in hiring, purchasing, culture and measurement
- Support and guide new project and business development planning and prototyping
- Prepare organization for growing scale of impact
- Oversee technology, data, fundraising, office and other infrastructure required to support staff working remotely from more than 20 locations and six offices
- With President, maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people. Oversees all aspects of human resource management for (currently) 50+ employees, including but not limited to setting and enforcing policies, hiring and termination, achieving hiring diversity goals, managing performance, setting compensation, and working with employees to resolve issues as they arise.
- Oversee development, implementation and operations of employee salary setting and, performance management system
- Develop and oversee professional development opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth.
- Model an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
- Oversee relationship with Professional Employer Organization partner in implementing all human resources policies and conduct regular reviews
- Liaise with General Counsel in managing organization's legal matters, identify and mitigate areas of risk and assure compliance with relevant laws and policies
- With General Counsel, support relationships with outside legal counsel(s)
- With General Counsel, assure maintenance of all corporate records
- With General Counsel, ensure proper and complete registration of corporate entities for conduct of business, tax, charitable registration and other business purposes with all relevant state and municipal agencies as well as the federal government.
- Record of successful achievement in managing legal, operational and human capital aspects of fast growing, innovative organization
- 10+ years experience, with 3+ in management roles
- Strong alignment with Community Solutions’ values and vision
- Knowledge of and record of driving results using continuous quality improvement
- Superior analytical, project and risk management skills, including being detail-oriented and managing toward aggressive deadlines
- Evidence of "scrappy startup execution" and a "get it done" attitude when time is short and stakes are high
- Proven experience and passion for working across functions, synthesizing multiple points of view and owning a coherent action plan
- MBA or MPA preferred
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written) that inspires and motivates others.
- All organizational operations will report to the COO
- Supporting operations team of 4
Equipment /Software Used:
- Google Suite
- Tableau/Tableau Server
- Amazon Web Services
- Microsoft Excel
- This position is located in the New York City area