Community Solutions is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented, proactive, innovative media strategist with a record for both developing and implementing a strategy for earned media that delivers measurable results. The Media Strategist will report to the Principal for Strategic Communications and work closely with the Built for Zero and Policy teams.
The Community Solutions’ Communications department is dedicated to establishing new expectations, behaviors, and conditions that enable communities to measurably reduce and end homelessness. In support of our Built for Zero initiative, we work with communities, newsmakers, policymakers, and our core partners to showcase that homelessness is solvable and create public accountability for a future where homelessness is rare and brief.
The media strategist’s primary responsibilities is to identify, pitch and place stories and write thought leadership pieces that will shift the discourse around solutions for homelessness. One measure used will be share of voice. This will include developing and maintaining relationships with journalists, opinion leaders, and communities participating in Built for Zero and executing strategies to influence the discourse surrounding homelessness. The media strategist is also responsible for coaching and supporting communities in developing and supporting local media strategies that strengthen their efforts to reach and sustain functional zero, a milestone for measurably ending homelessness. Finally, the media strategist will implement our strategy to educate journalists on homelessness as a solvable, systems problem.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Media discourse around homelessness prominently features — as measured in part by an increase in share of voice — the solvability of homelessness, proof of ending homelessness at a population level, and the role of systems and data
- Organization has strong relationships with journalists at priority publications and consistent placements that reflect an understanding of homelessness as a solvable, systems problem and regular engagement with journalists to inform ongoing discourse
- Thought pieces and shaping conversations, including but not limited to op-eds and letters to editors, published that support the aforementioned messaging goals
- Coaching and guidance that helps communities in Built for Zero leverage media, which supports their efforts to reach or sustain an end to homelessness
- Community Solutions staff confident, trained, and equipped with resources to effectively engage with media members
- Journalists and opinion leaders informed and equipped with tools to inform their reporting and writing on homelessness as a solvable, systems problem
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Shifting media discourse to reflect homelessness as a solvable systems problem
- Execute a strategy that measurably expands the share of overall discourse around solving homelessness that includes communities that have reached functional zero and those making progress driving reductions
- Identify influencers and opportunities to write and place thought pieces and stories that support the communications aims of the organization
- Partner with communities, core partners, and sector organizations to execute campaigns and communications that center homelessness as a solvable, systems problem
Organization equipped with learning and analysis of progress toward strategic aim
- Harness data and media monitoring tools to proactively drive media opportunities to integrate our messaging into broader discourse around homelessness
- Provide weekly reporting on key metrics, including share of voice
- Continually analyze the impact of success stories from Built for Zero communities to shift the broader discourse around homelessness, and support any evaluation efforts around this lane of work
Journalist and opinion leaders equipped and informed
- Serve as primary point for affirmative outreach to journalists and coordinate inbound opportunities
- Develop and maintain media briefing materials
- Identify and lead opportunities to educate or train journalists
- Manage reporter lists in Meltwater and report weekly on media activities
Community and staff equipped with coaching and support
- Provide coaching and develop guidance that helps communities in Built for Zero leverage traditional media to reach and sustain an end to homelessness
- Provide reporter briefs and coaching, as necessary, for staff and community leaders before media interview and engagements
- Develop training materials and providing coaching to grow our bench of staff representing the organization in media opportunities
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- 4-5 years of experience leading media engagement strategies, with measurable results
- PR agency or journalism experience, a plus
- Experience employing data-driven, strategic communications strategies
- Excellent writing and communications skills, with experience writing and placing thought pieces
- Strong, organized multitasker
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Zeal for continuous learning and improvement
- A belief that homelessness can and must be solved
Asana, Google Workspace, Meltwater
$72,200 - $90,200
The position may work remotely from anywhere in the US, but would ideally be based in a city in which our team has an office, which includes Atlanta, Los Angeles, New York.
Between 5 to 7 days of travel may be required every 6 months to attend team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We strive for inclusivity and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We seek to employ an all-star team of people who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, culture, religion, veteran status, physical and mental abilities. We promote equal opportunity in the recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, and benefits of all employees.